I have had some pretty crazy experiences in the middle of the night since I have been back taking call. I seriously wake up the next day and think that must have been a dream. So I have decided to start a new post every now and then when I have something blog worthy to share about my adventures of being on call.
On the nights when I am in a deep sleep and that pager goes off, it amazes me every time that I get to the hospital safely. It is so hard to wake up, but the freezing cold and my loud blaring music seem to help a bit. Last night was one of those nights.
Anyway... I get the young patient who is in her 2nd trimester having some pain. I think to myself, "Hot diggity dog, how are you going to handle the next 5 months? Not to mention the 'Final exam'!" he he he... She had to beg the boyfriend/creepy bum to come with her for the exam.
He asks if he could move his stuff into the hospital and live there because he wants to see dead people. I tell him that would be a heafty price for rent. He then tells me that dead people talk to him. I looked over at him with his face poking out of his over sized hoodie and it seriously looked like the devil looking at me. It was a really evil, scary feeling. Then he asks the girl, while looking at the screen, if she is pregnant with a squirrel. Oh and we aren't done yet... He starts going off about when the cops came by earlier that night and she cuts him off and starts asking me questions, obviously trying to change the subject. They start talking about walking home to Orem. Mind you it is like 10 degrees. But apparently he is from Kearns. That made much more sense. :) He kept falling "asleep" because he was so "tired". Those must be the new terms for stoned.
Good times, my friends, good times!
Thursday, February 3, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Wow, I bet that woke you up real fast! Yikes!
More reason for you to work daytime hours with non-emergent happy pregnant people. Just saying...Miss ya tons!
Oh wow Brit, I remember taking call and all the weirdos you run into in the middle of the night, I am so thankful I am not doing it anymore. It sure keeps it interesting. Oh, and I'm sure you patient that was having "pain" was really only intersted in the gender, right? Take Care!
Melissa--how did you know?!? Yes, she felt so much better AFTER she found out the gender!
...and those are the peeps that can afford the emergency room...keep 'em coming. You live a much more exciting life than I do.
WOW! I feel sorry for that baby!! It really has no chance for a "normal" life with parents like that!
That's funny. Um... maybe they should consider adoption.
There are definitely some "odd ducks" out there. :)
Life is always much more exciting during the night! Crazy! That poor poor baby probably won't want to come out in the real scary world when the 5 months rolls around. Sad.
Post a Comment