Wednesday, January 28, 2009

House,house

For that last while, Carson and Wyatt will be playing then they will just disappear to Carson's bedroom. I'll call out to Carson,
"What are you doing?"
and Carson will respond,
"Playing house, house."
Not sure why he calls it that, but it is ALL he wants to play. I am getting concerned. My boys should be BOYS.
I'll hear him tell Wyatt,
"I am the dad and you are the mom."
Wyatt: "Ya" (everything is ya)
So, to hopefully save Wyatt from years of therapy in the future, I sat Carson down and told him that boys do not play or pretend that they are girls and that he could be confusing Wyatt.
I think a day went by and they did not play house house.
I thought my little talk worked.
Then I go back to check on them the next day and find this.

We don't have dolls, of course, so the stuffed animals are their kids.
And Carson and Wyatt are in Carson's bed with the covers on.
Me: "What are you doing?"
Carson: "Sleeping."
Me: Slight Relief.
I decide to talk to their dad about Carson's new fetish.
He didn't take it as well as I did.
Playing house house becomes banned at our house or any where else for that matter.
So, yesterday, Carson stayed after preschool to play at his cousin's house. I reminded him that he needed to play other things and even packed a bag of BOY toys and games. I also told him that Aunt Teresa will not let him play house either.
I get a phone call and Teresa called me to tell me that Carson had Madi ask her if they could play house. BTW, she is cracking up. She is aware of the recent drama.
Maybe this means he is going to be an awesome dad someday. I didn't have brothers and maybe this is just a normal phase???
If you have any advice for me, please share! :)

9 comments:

Ryan and Crystal said...

Sorry, I haven't been there or done that. I have no kids. I think you are a good parent no matter what. If you want me to look in my child development books about this I certainly can. Its probably all that Carson has played at moms house with all the neices. But I think talking to him was a good idea and especially telling him how Wyatt might get confused. It m akes me laugh though. I can just see Wyatt saying ya to everything. You have cute boys!! I don't think its anything to be concerned about though.

Amber said...

This is just me but I really think it is perfectly fine for boys to play house. Maybe they could have one of their stuffed animals be the Mom. I don't know.
If it makes you feel any better Jacob and Hannah play house all the time together. And when Hannah goes to play at my friends house (who has three boys) they go on trips and she is the mom and someone else is the Dad.

Amber said...

OKay, clearly I need to check your blog a lot more!!! I just forget when I don't get a little reminder in my email. Sorry. I have to call you so we can catch up.
I love your blog!!! You're yellow boots rock and yes I am green with envy. LOL!

Michelle said...

Totally funny that you put the ban on. But I feel somewhat guilty that it's Bailey and Sydney's doing. They're always wanting Carson to be their hunny.
Seriously I think you're boys playing house house is because they have such great role models...their dad and mom. They'll be alright. Just put them in the jeep with some guns and tell them to play cops and robbers.

Teresa said...

Love the cops and robbers idea! I wouldn't worry about it! They are too cute and definitely all boy! It was funny that Carson wanted to play house at my house though. Sam was all for it too.

Teresa said...

I'm loving your new background too. Valentines always reminds me of you because of your birthday and the traditional "heart" cake! Love it and can't wait! :)

J♥M said...

At least they're not painting eachother's toe nails and finger nails. I loved playing house with the neighbor boys growing up. They loved it too and they're fine. They're married and in the Army. It was more fun than playing GI Joe I thought. We'd play that with them in fairness! I do think that it requires a bit of supervision or it could get outta hand. I can't stand to see kids lay on top of other kids and my kids are NEVER allowed to play with the door closed. NEVER! I also agree with the gender confusion part. When the boys weren't playing with us we'd pretend that the husband or dad was at work. But, if you don't have a good feeling about it, then go with your feelings. My kids really haven't played house so I'm not sure how I really feel.

The Five that Jive said...

Britney, you are hilarious!! Your boys'll get over it. My brother loved to play house with me, I think it's normal. Oh my goodness Dr. Haskett is totally cute!! He was so nice too:) He gave me some Zantac which is for heartburn, and I wasn't going to fill it because I didn't think it would work but it totally worked!! I'm 100% better today! Crazy 'huh. So if you want to pass that along, I'm sure he felt pretty stumped when I walked out of his office:) It was fun seeing you!!

Ryan said...

I really hope this is just a phase. I never played house growing up. I think that it might have to do with the fact that boys are outnumbered on this side of the family and because grandma doesn't have a lot of boy toys around for them. I hope that Carson does become a great dad in 20 years and that Wyatt will too. For now, I'm going to buy toy guns or something else for them to do so that it will take their minds off of playing house house.