Monday, January 19, 2009

Pinewood Derby!

UGH! I have uploaded these pictures three times and Blogger likes them in this order, so Blogger wins.

Saturday, was our ward's first pinewood derby. Our Cub Scout program has made a lot of progress since I got put in Primary. (Thanks to an awesome Cub Master--that's the secret.)

I am the "food committee". So, I decided to do "tires" for the refreshments. It turned out really cute. I was swatting those boys away so we could just say a prayer, for heaven's sake!

The elders quorum also joined the festivities. They didn't have any rules. One guy just tied a brick to his car. It crashed. And burned. The most creative was a car that looked like a Snicker's bar. The wrapper was half on and a bite was taken out. It looked quite tasty. I wish I would have taken a picture of it.

Ryan decided to make a couple of cars. He missed out on pinewood derby when he was a young cub. He is such a perfectionist and spent every spare minute he had in the past two weeks working on them. The first picture above is pre-tires. Then he decided to make a few more changes to the car.

His truck turned out pretty cool. The car...let's just say R.I.P. green machine. Yes, that first picture is the car in the trash. Men sure get emotional over cars.


3 comments:

Ryan said...

Next time I decide to participate in a Pinewood derby, I will not wait to get things done. I should have taken more time and not rushed. Sure wish they both would have turned out thought. They really would have been great.

Ryan and Crystal said...

They look awesome, way to go Ry. I know when I have boys and they have to do a pine wood derby I know exactly who I'm going to take them to help them make theirs. The paint on the truck is amazing!!

Michelle said...

It looks awesome Ryan! You and your boys will have lots more opportunities, I am sure, to win the title of Pinewood Derby Champ! Loved the food commitee's presentation! You would've had to swat me away too.