Sunday, January 11, 2009

Skiing!!!

These pictures didn't turn out the best because we just had to use a phone, but they are all we have. Better than nothing, I guess. Ryan and I went skiing yesterday. It was Ryan's first time (pretty much) and I found that night skiing is only $15 at Powder Mountain. We were off and ready for an adventure!

We got to the resort a little before three. Ryan peed twice at my mom's before we left and had to go again before we even strapped our ski's on. I knew he was nervous for his first ski lesson from me. :)

Lesson #1: Getting up the hill. I decided that it would be best to start with the "Tiger Tow". We got to the rope tow and Ryan went first. I told him to hold on to the rope and keep his skis straight. He grabbed the rope and "whoosh". He got pulled under and had his first fall of the day. The worker standing there went to help him. It is quite embarrassing to fall getting on the lift or tow. Poor guy! He got it the second time and we got up the hill.

Lesson #2: Snowplowing. I showed my faithful student how you bring the tips of the skis together. He gave it a go and flew right into some trees. Not the best snowplowing, but good effort. Second crash of the day (not that I was keeping track).

Lesson #3: Turning. After I told him to keep his weight on the downhill leg and watching a few four year-olds, he figured out to turn. Now we were good to go where the big kids go. The lift.

The first run was "Confidence". Perfect. Just what my little skier needed. We were having fun and Ryan was doing better with fewer falls each time. I let Ryan lead the way so I could assist if any poles or skis were left at the top of the mountain. I saw him turn and head across the slope as a snowboarder is heading in the same direction. A huge puff of snow was now in the place where Ryan used to be. Shoot. Thank gosh everyone was okay. They dusted themselves off and asked each other, "Dude, you okay?" and we headed down the hill.

We kept going down the same runs and I was ready for something new. I saw a map that had a green (easy) run going the other direction, and I decided we needed to go that way. To be honest, I saw where it started, but I didn't look to see where it ended. We headed down "Slow Poke". No lights were leading this direction, but there was a full moon, so I figured we'd be okay. We kept going, getting further away from the main area where we were supposed to be. Ryan is like, "I don't think we should be going this way." I was like, "Too late. I am not hiking back up this thing." The edge looked like a double black diamond (freakin' hard run), and I was not about to be brought down on some sled behind a snowmobile, so we kept going. I was trying to keep it cool. I didn't want my student to know the teacher was pretty much freaking out. Finally, I saw a bus. We make our way down to the road, and I made Ryan beg the driver to take us back.

Ryan did admit that he likes skiing and was having fun. He even starting dissing snowboarders. (Every true skier at heart hates snowboarders. Don't get me started.) I told him how well he was doing and he said, "Ya, I pick up on things pretty fast." I responded, "Just say, thanks." We did have a fun time together and yes, you did pick up on it pretty fast, Ry.

On the way home, Ryan started talking about his mission. This is one of the reasons I married him. I love talking and just being together. Although, when Ryan gets talking, he doesn't pay too much attention to driving. We had been driving for about a half hour. I knew we should be getting closer to Morgan by now and then we passed the same grocery store we passed a half hour earlier. We had gone in a circle around the lake.

Thanks, Babe! I had a great adventure with you. Let's do it again sometime!


7 comments:

Ryan said...

I really did have a great time with ya honey. Although you should have been the one telling me which direction I needed to go. However, I will not place all of the blame on you. I really enjoyed the skiing and hope to go again soon.

Neisha said...

That was the funniest blog you have posted yet. BJ and I are laughing because I can just see all the litlle kids staring at Ryan falling trying to get pulled up.

RaKell said...

That sounds so fun. Jake keeps telling me he wants to take me but I thinks I am too fat and old now!

Ryan and Crystal said...

See now if I would have tagged along it wouldn't have been a romantic evening of just the two of you. Next time you guys go definitely let us know I want to go with you.

Michelle said...

How fun! I love that your first run was "Confidence". It kills me you went where there weren't any lights. Good thing you found the bus. I'm glad you guys had a great time and I'm sure Ryan did great!

Teresa said...

Too funny! I would love to go skiing with you sometime! Will you teach me too?

marci said...

That is hilarious. I love that you led him in the wrong direction.... I would have done the EXACT same thing! You are an AWESOME teacher!